- Asking for Assistance
- Recognizing the Feelings of Others
- Self-Esteem & Goal Setting
- Learning to Listen
- Honesty & Responsibility
- Staying Out of Trouble
- Drug Awareness
- Stress Management
- Finding a Solution to a Problem
- Critiquing the Media (Media Literacy)
- Quality Decision Making
- Grade Level: 5th-6th
- Standards: Evidence-Based – National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP)
- Duration: 30 minutes – 1 hour
- Number of Lessons: 12
- What Classes it can be used in: Counseling, Advisory, Home Room
- 30 Student Booklets (music CD included with each booklet)
- 1 Instructor Manual (music CD included)
The Rock PLUS Curriculum was developed by utilizing the best practices that the organization had learned from Rock LIVE trainings and workshops to write, develop and implement the Rock PLUS Curriculum. The research project to measure effectiveness was conducted by Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The curriculum is based on the national standards and guidelines for effective practice known as CASEL (the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning guidelines). Rock PLUS was placed on the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
The Instructor Manuals are designed to be comprehensive and easy to teach. The Instructor Manual was planned and written in this manner so that minimal preparation is needed by the teacher and that there is a natural workflow through the lesson. The Student Workbook Kits also contain the CDs with songs used as teaching tools, song lyrics, in‐ class activities, and school‐home links.
The curriculum meets educational goals in several disciplines: personal and social skills, academic achievement, parental involvement, self-awareness, health and wellness, alcohol, tobacco and drug awareness, character education, media literacy, anger management, problem solving, anti-bullying and positive school climate.